Upgrading WordPress from 2.1 to 2.3
I broke my WordPress instance last night by doing something stupid, then decided to make amends by updating to 2.3. I hadn’t done it because of the database conversion requirement which was introduced with 2.2. But with a broken web site at 1:00 a.m. I decided to fix it by upgrading. These are the steps, and the resources I used:
- backed up the database
- posted a downtime note
- converted the database to UTF-8
- upgraded to the latest version
Not so bad, really. In related news, I’m also using a trial copy of MarsEdit to write this post, and I’m really liking it. Intuitive, simple and clean. I’ve been using Textile a lot lately, so even just for this reason MarsEdit seems like a logical choice for writing to my blog (I’d been using TextWrangler and the WordPress TinyMCE).
Update: When I first posted the article MarsEdit sent it as plain text. Looks like I was only previewing in Textile. I’ve changed the blog settings, so hopefully this will do the trick.
Update 2: Daniel Jalkut enlightened me to the fact that MarsEdit doesn’t convert your syntax to HTML, it just sends what you type, so to be able to write in Textile on MarsEdit you’d need to enable a Textile plugin on your blog. (I tried it quickly, but it seems to misinterpret some of the syntax in my previous posts.) After exchanging a few e-mails with Daniel it’s clearer that the appeal of MarsEdit is the ease and speed of publishing to your blog that it provides, over the GUI that WordPress comes with. Unfortunately for me the XMLRPC requests are very slow, which could be related to my webhost.